Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Usain Bolt: The World's Fastest Man

Gi Dem Donkey Lents Usain




On Sunday Morning I awoke to the great news. Usain Bolt is now the fastest man in the world. Wow! It made my heart swell with pride. Usain accomplished this mighty feat in what was essentially a preparation race for his better events, the 200 and 400m. This means he wasn’t even trying to set a record, yet he did. That makes it phenomenal.

My pride was even larger when I realized that another Jamaican champion, Osafa Powell, was the previously fastest man last year. We are producers of athletic champions - Drug and hormone free. We are unrivaled in this prodigiousness. Who can test?

I was not totally surprised because I had read of his achievement at the Jamaica Invitational earlier. I thought then that he had it in him to do great things, but I was thinking Olympic gold medal and apparently so was he. In his modest tone, he stated that while it feels good to be the world’s fastest man, he is mindful of the fleeting nature of that glory. True, as he says, his record can be broken at any time. He is looking to the more lasting memorial of Olympic gold. I appreciate his reasoning. All the world watches the Olympics and your name is written in the history books for posterity. I hope he achieves this, but for now I will bask in the reflection off his glow and feel good about being a Jamaican.

People are excited and of course many now hope that he will do the 100 at the Olympics too. I hope he makes a wise decision and does the events he feels most comfortable with.

Congratulations Bolt. I am now even more excited for the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. Tyson Gay our boys going to whoop your ass. Watch Out!

No comments: