Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Information and Technology Transfer: Japan to Jamaica

Since my decision not to stress about my choices of Japan vs Jamaica I have spent some time watching the NHK channel on cable TV. This is a channel that gives news and features about Japan, including some from the point of view of foreigners living in the country. One feature about games played in the country was very interesting. Did you know the number puzzle phenomenon Sudoku was invented by a Japanese game maker? I have tried it a few times but have never been able to solve it. I also never noticed the secret patterns like hearts, waves, numbers and other shapes hidden in there. Related to this is the love of brain training games. I think I should try these because I feel like my brain has gone to mush and I’d really like to know my brain age.

Most interesting though, and what I am looking forward to in Japan, is the simulation games. Among other things, they featured a converted car that would allow you to simulate the experience of racing on a Japan roadway, and a skating ramp. Very Cool!

Another show featured the art of making Washi (paper) and showed how paper made from plant fibers is utilized in a range of products from home construction in screen doors, lamps and lighting sculptures, and high tech products like gear changing plates and mobile phones. It is durable, light weight, beautiful and environmentally friendly. Interestingly, they also showed how this art of paper making is being transferred to the Caribbean via Haiti using indigenous materials. Specifically, they have used the usually discarded parts of the banana tree. It is hoped that this will create small and medium enterprises, lead to employment opportunities, generate income, reduce the cost of providing paper to schools and create an environmentally sustainable industry. The project has been expanded throughout the Caribbean by the participation of several individual, including Jamaica, at a training event in Haiti. I thought this was very interesting and hope the participants get the support necessary to develop this enterprise.

No comments: